Sunday, January 20, 2008

Featured Artist Week 4: Brienne Moore


I am behind schedule as usual. It is 4 a.m. and I am a little upset with myself because I was supposed to have this up hours ago. But I am in good company, sitting here listening to “Skin” by Brienne Moore. Listening to her music is like finding a musical soul mate. We both have a love for COLDPLAY and Sam Cooke. The Las Vegas native has a beautiful set of pipes on her. She’s been working on her craft since the age of 3 setting up shows for her parents. She has now made her home in Los Angeles booking gigs at local bars such as the Viper Room, and Crane’s Tavern. I am having a hard time choosing which song to put on my page. Which says a lot. Usually I find one favorite and just go with it. But all of her songs hit a chord with me. I guess it is not that bad of a situation to find oneself in when listening to lovely music.

“Thank You” made me feel like she was writing about my ex boyfriend. All of her music is well crafted. There is this deep sincerity in her music that touches you. You believe in the honesty of her words and you don’t feel at any moment that she is being pretentious. In her interview I could feel her joy. I could feel that this is what she loves. You get a sense of this talented girls beautiful personality, that matches her beautiful voice.

[Brittani] You always sang for your parents, how did they help you when it came to realizing your dreams of being a musician?

When I was young and told my parents that I spent hours preparing a song for them, they just happily listened which I’m sure wasn’t easy;). I think that was the initial support I needed to help me realize that I just love to sing.

[Brittani] How was your experience at your performing arts high school in Las Vegas?

You know when I first started my freshman year, I didn’t want to go. My dad, told me I should go because one of his friends said it would be good for me if I want to do music professionally. I initially didn’t want to go because the school didn’t have sports...which means it didn’t have boys, and when you’re 14 that is just tragic! Though as I got over that fact, I really started to pay attention to my craft and how amazing it was to go to a school that really encouraged kids to explore their creative side. We still had to keep up on our school work that all high schools make students take, but we worked harder because we had to stay at school longer to fit in our “major” (music, dance, art, etc.)

[Brittani]You're from "Sin City" but you don't sound like it LOL...what can you tell your fans about the artistry out there, is it all bright lights and big shows?

[Brienne] I know, right?! (haha) Growing up I used to think, “I don’t belong here.” Though I grew up away from the strip, and being under 21 you can’t get involved with all the things that make Vegas “Sin City.” I was lucky, I had stable parents who really kept my sisters and I away from all the gambling, drinking, etc. As far as what Las Vegas has to offer the entertainment industry, today I think it can offer a lot, it is definitely creating its own music market. When I was younger, Vegas didn’t have the popularity it now has.

[Brittani] How has your experience in L.A. been? How different is it from Vegas?

[Brienne] I have this love/hate relationship with Los Angeles. When I first came to LA I was all starry-eyed and thought it was place that made everyone’s dreams come true (haha), but when I learned about a thing called reality, I realized LA, most of the time, is the complete opposite. Again, with age and maturity, I learned Los Angeles provides so many opportunities and even though you come across some “sharks,” you also meet some amazing people.

Though only thing I can say that LA and Vegas differ is the weather; businesses will be businesses (the music industry or any other) and people will be people, some are great, and some are not.

[Brittani] When did you decide that you prefer and acoustic sound, how do you think it affected your music?

[Brienne] The guitar. I have always loved songs that were more driven by an acoustic guitar. It was when I wrote my first emotionally revealing song (Thank You) that I realized I could never go back to anything else. The acoustic guitar inspired me to write honestly, and that is where my heart is at.

[Brittani] You say on your page "You need more than a great voice and dance moves," do you think the "whole package" is emphasized too much when it comes to the music industry?
And if you needed to could you do some dance moves? LOL

[Brienne] Oh girl, I can get down! (Hahahaha) I love to dance, I used to take some dance classes and still will walk into a hip-hop class for fun.

I do think a whole package is emphasized in the industry, but the industry is changing and there really isn’t a lot of great music being played on the radio. My hopes, with all the changes going on, is that music will go back to how it used to be, back to the “Motown days,” where the people wanted to hear great music, not a “package,” just simply great music.

[Brittani] If you could open up for anybody on tour, who would it be for and why?

[Brienne] I would just love to go on tour with COLDPLAY! That would be a dream!! Their music is so inspiring and I’m just a huge fan. I can just see myself now, being backstage bugging them with questions like, “Do you know how amazing you are?!!”

[Brittani] Who are some of your influences musically.

[Brienne] I idolized Whitney when I was young, and still do. I will put on “Saving all my Love” and still get goose bumps! She has the most amazing voice. As I opened up to more music, my influences range from Sam Cooke to Jewel to Stevie to COLDPLAY.

Do you know the feeling when you hear somebody sing for the first time, and you know they have a beautiful soul? Thats the feeling I got when I first heard Brienne sing. If you love earnest expression set to comforting folk inspired Soul you need her in your life. The songs on her page are a collection of artistic masterpieces. With her extraordinary voice, and gifted song writing, you know Brienne Moore, whether signed or not is a star that will shine bright.

Brittani Cooper


No comments: